Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #3
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
You can also see the difference in the size of the sway bars laying side-by-side. The Roadmaster sway bar is heavier and beefier compared to the stock bar. I didn’t take a picture of the Roadmaster links but they were also much larger in diameter. It was easy to see how the Roadmaster sway bar would help with the torsional forces the back of the coach places on the rear suspension.

It took about an hour to swap out the rear sway bar. The hardest part was removing the driver’s side link where it mounted to the frame rail. The rear fuel tank and top of the rear shock was blocking some of the access to the nut. On top of that there was quite a bit of wiring running around the nut through the frame rail. I had to remove the rear driver’s side shock again and then cut some zip ties to move the wiring around. The it took a couple tries with different socket and wrench combinations to find the right one to loosen the nut.

Ford didn’t make it easy removing the two bolts going through the bushings on each link. One side was threaded with a nut and the other side was just flat round metal. I had to use vise grips clamped to the round metal at the end of the stud to keep it from spinning while I removed the nuts. The Roadmaster links comes with heavy duty bolt so they were much easier to install.

After taking a test drive with the new rear sway bar installed, I could immediately tell the difference when I made my first 90-degree turn. When I would make a left (or right) with the stock sway bar, the coach would sway right… then left…. then right… and back to center. With the Roadmaster sway bar there was very little left and right movement making the 90-degree turns. My wife even commented before I said anything that the coach was not rocking back and forth after making a couple 90-degree turns.

On the interstate, I would get some movement when passed by large 18-wheelers but I felt almost no movement when being passed. I was hoping it would be a little windy out during the test drive but the winds were relatively light. Given the changes I noticed I am sure it will do well in high winds.

I did back the rear shocks down one setting from 6 to 5 since the sway bar would likely stiffen the ride a little bit. I may make a few changes in the shock adjustments just to see the differences but at the moment i think I am going to stick with a setting of 6 on the front shocks and 5 on the rear shocks based on my test drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5725.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	38437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5727.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	38438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5726.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	38439  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum