Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #18
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Onan told me it's still on mine... 5500. I don't know other than that and as I said it's always been an issue with mine. [emoji848]
I have 5500 as well. The manual states it has a low oil sensor, but I have not verified to really know because I have never burned that much.
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil onan.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	38440

I change oil every year, and one year I changed twice; when I was foolishly led down a path of being worried about the weight of the oil at different heat temps of the year

It is the overfill that worries me a tad... I need to check again, but the way my 5500 is designed, it seems like it would be very difficult to put too much oil in it. It would overflow the fill tube that is at a angle. The whole oil change out is tad under a quart. There is no overfill sensor. But it is easy to drain, if you needed to remove some oil, no tools required.

To the OP,
75% of the time my genny starts; it is started by the AGS. Take the time to learn and use the AGS. In 3 1/2 years my genny has never failed to start. If it did; it sends a default code, I can read the code on my AGS display without having to go inside. I have priming capability, but I have never needed to. I concluded that was because of proximity of my gas tank to my generator. That is not the case for all coaches; so priming is required when needed and by design. I suggest trying the AGS because it may prime for you automatically as part of that start process. Plus in you case if it failed to start you should have a code as to why it says it did not start.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum