Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 04:15 PM   #20
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks Beau for sharing.

Your motorhome can be seen as a predecessor of popular modern high-roof Euro-van-based Class Bs. Apparently large cargo vans needed to catch up with demand for motorhomes that size.

Standard vans in the background, including the Ford, puts their small size in perspective. Your Corvair was not much different in length or height compared to present vans, just much wider than Bs.

It’s easy to forget or ignore that B-vans are outselling Class As, and that doesn’t even count DIY units.
Modern B vans are much heavier and not rear engine, thus do not have the four abreast seating up front. There was seldom a need to run the A/C when on the road as all the engine heat and noise was behind you where the bed added more sound dreading in the rear. The front wheel cut is 60 degrees allowing the coach to make a U-turn in 23 ft, the width of a residential street. With 14 x 5.5 rims and needing tires with a load rating of 1,800 lbs, it was easy to re-shoe the coach for $400 at Walmart. Try that in your class B.

The only reason I sold it is, I was getting old and moving to a Life Car Village. Like any 1960's car, it required constant maintenance much more than a modern RV and I no longer had a place to keep the spare parts and to work on the coach in an heated, air conditioned shop. Remenber GM went bankrupt so spare parts were not available.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.