Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Battery Numbers
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 04:26 AM   #32
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
[snip]
The reason why it is not practical for me is because my Converter is separated from my Breaker / Power Center. I am not gonna fool with that just to get some perceived advantage life on battery. There is no probe option for Progressive Dynamics; only if you buy a new Power Center and rewire

With that said, it is interesting technology, but don't see it as an absolute for extended battery life. I put it with Lithium batteries; both will likely be in my future but only when / if it comes installed as standard equipment from RV Mfg.

Here is my Progressive Dynamics 9200 Inteli-Power with 4 Stage Charge Wizard https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/
Thanks for sending me the info
I agree modification are a personal choice. I was trying to show that cheap fixed voltage chargers can harm batteries in rare cases. The points you make a valid. For all antimony alloyed flooded batteries here are Trojan's recommendations. As a side note, I went out to exercise the generator this afternoon the ambient 98 F and the sun was shinning on the right side of the coach, The temperature of the two batteries in the compartment was 118 F.

4. How much should I compensate the charge voltage for temperature?
  • Temperature will affect voltage readings. As temperature increases, voltage decreases. Conversely, as temperature decreases, voltage increases. Here are the relationships:
  • Trojan recommends using the following: For every 1º F below 77º F add 0.0028 volts per cell or for every 1 C below 25º C add 0.005 volts per cell to the charger voltage setting.
  • 1: A 12 volt battery @ 70º F. The recommended charging voltage at 77º F is 14.8 volts. The adjusted charging voltage is 14.8 + (6 cells * 7 degrees below * 0.0028) = 14.92 volts.
  • 2: A 12 volt battery @ 21º C. The recommended charging voltage at 25º C is 14.8 volts. The adjusted charging voltage is 14.8 + (6 cells * 4 degrees below * 0.005) = 14.92 volts.
  • For every 1º F above 77º F subtract 0.0028 volts per cell or for every 1º C above 25º C subtract 0.005 volts per cell to the charger voltage setting
  • 1: A 12 volt battery @ 85º F. The recommended charger voltage at 77º F is 14.8 volts. The adjusted charging voltage is 14.8 – (6 cells * 8 degrees above * 0.0028) = 14.67 volts.
  • 2: A 12 volt battery @ 29.5º C. The recommended charger voltage at 25º C is 14.8 volts. The adjusted charging voltage is 14.8 – (6 cells * 4.5 degrees above * 0.005) = 14.67 volts.
    • 5. Is there a maximum temperature for charging my batteries?
When charging lead acid batteries, the temperature should not exceed 120ºF. At this point the battery should be disconnected from all charging sources and loads in order to cool before resuming the charge process.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum