Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #11
craigd853

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
The shop that works on my cars agreed to look at the dash AC on my 3401 today. I had put too much freon in it so he got the charge right. Parked and running at fast idle it was about 40 degrees discharge temperature at the center duct. I test drove it about 10 miles on the freeway and the outlet temperature slowly went up to 60 degrees. When I slowed down and stayed on the frontage roads going back the temp started going back down. Again parked with the engine on fast idle it dropped to the low 40's.

Any idea what could cause this. He ran it at 1500 RPM when I got which is about the engine speed on the freeway and it cooled OK. (I'd live 35-38 degrees like my car but I can live with 40-42).

Thanks
Hello sir and sorry for your troubles. If the a/c is operating properly at idle I would look at the fan clutch as there could be a problem with the clutch controlling the fan. Not really familar with your set up but if it's running good at idle and your driving down the road and it warms up and your mechanic is sure they have the charge right then I would look at the fan control that sucks air thru the condensor. It is either electrically controlled or hydraulic, and should be 2 speed control for just this purpose. Car a/c and diesel pushers are two totally different things. Especially when talking about a/c. Also keep in mind that if the freon charge is off there are sensors installed in the system that will shut the compressor off if it exceeds or drops below minimum pressures. Obviosly there is a leak in the system as with most diesel pushers because there are a lot of lines that could potentially leak and the fact that you had stated you over filled the system. Take it to a proffesional who deals with diesel pushers and I'm sure they will find the issue. I always measure the amount of freon I add by using scales to prevent over charging. Good luck and hope this may help some

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum