Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Bob Montgomery

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If everything is working right, there is no way for towing a small car, even on a dolly, to make a great difference. My guess is that unless you have issues with your dolly and/or toad, that the problem is your ACE is not as fuel efficient as you hope.

There is nothing inherently bad about the V10 when towing.

If you had a V10 in a pickup, and then towed a 5th wheel, obviously the MPGs will drop like crazy, but that's because the load on engine is much greater, not because it suddenly became inefficient.

Similarly, if you have a huge Class A it's going to get low MPGs because the load on engine is high. Adding a small car behind the Class A can't make that big a difference -- assuming things are set up and working correctly.

I think +/- 1/2 MPG reduction when towing a mid-size car is a good approximation. If it's a lot more than that I'd start looking for problems.
On our way home we noticed the engine was surging and the closer to home we got the worse it was. We took it to Ford the next day, they spent about three hours on it. The computer didn't find the problem but the Tech said something about the throttle body and air sensor and now it runs great. It could be the reason I used so much fuel. I had figured with 80 gallons I could go 800 miles like my last Class C (it was shorter and lighter) and I always got 10 mpg or better unless fighting a strong head wind (you think the wind blows in Wyoming and Montana?) ....I will be watching it. My new KarKaddy SS likely wasn't set up right at the dealer but that is a story I will share later in another thread.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum