Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by makitso View Post
This experiment was a test to see if the above named adapter would successfully transmit Ethernet into the RV via 110 outlet. It is not an attempt to get Wifi into the RV.

My initial test of the adapter (2 of 2) in the RV failed, it would not sync up with the adapter (1 of 5) plugged into the router.
Subsequent tests, disable breakers, etc., found some combinations that would sync but the signal was very weak when tested with my laptop and speedtest.net
My intent was NOT to sway you to WiFi. . One thing to understand is that although you have a "signal" (which carries the data), you STILL may have a slow or non-existent data stream.

In simple terms, a modem receives the digital signal from your ISP, then hands it off to your router for distribution. Then your router generates the carrier and sends (routes) the data.

Electric transmission lines often are inherently "noisy", which causes data packets to be re-sent numerous times... giving you the "slow" data.

The reason I mentioned WiFi was merely as a test. You want to determine if it's a "noisy" carrier, OR inherently slow data originating from the modem. If WiFi is generally fast, but the power line ethernet is slow (originating from the same modem) you've found your answer.

When you've found combinations that "work", you're likely bypassing the noisy wiring. Where the noise is coming from is another can of worms... good luck! . And it sounds like you DO get acceptable data speeds in some scenarios, so that would probably rule out slow data from your modem via the ISP.

Bottom line... I've found power line ethernet to be hit or miss. I currently use it for a Linux box and home automation. But I wouldn't use it where I depended on consistent high speed data.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.