Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
Judge, did you do a write up on this or the vent improvements you made?
I can't remember if I did a write-up.... I may not have since there are so many A/C threads. Here it is in a nutshell.....

1. Evaporator Enclosure on Roof - I removed the shrouds of the two A/C units and used Frost King Self-Adhesive Insulation to cover and insulate the entire evaporator enclosure (see the black arrow on the attached picture pointing out the enclosure).

2) I used a small piece of foam pipe insulation to insulate the pipe the runs from the compressor into the evaporator enclosure.

3) A/C Vents - I removed the covers over the A/C vents and used a very small saw blade to cut and smooth the styrofoam insulation in the ceiling for better airflow out the vents. Instead of using actual metal ducts, they just created channels in the styrofoam in the ceiling and then butchered holes for the vents.

On the last two vents at the front cap and the last two vents of the rear cap, I used spray foam to seal up the ends of the channels so the air didn't blow into the front and rear ceiling at the caps where it had nowhere to exit.

4) RV AirFlow - I installed the RV Airflow in the front A/C only so at night I could just run the front A/C and it would push more air to the bedroom.

5) WeatherTech Windshield Full Kit - The first thing I did day one was purchased the WeatherTech Full Cab Kit to cover the windshield and two door windows so the cab would not heat up.

6) We close the curtain over the cab-over bunk to keep the heat that generate in the front cap from coming into the coach. I also never open the cab-over window cover.

7) We keep all the window shade down as soon as the sun starts getting hot.

I have been in full sun with the temps in mid-90's and high humidity and never had an issue keeping the coach in the low to mid 70's.

However, you need to use a digital thermometer to measure the actual temperature in the middle of the coach to know how your system is really working.

The two temperature sensors are under the cabinets against the walls where heat radiates. The thermostat may say 82 but the actual air temp in the middle of the coach is really closer to 72.

Last August in Nashville it was 95 and humid. The Firefly thermostat was saying it was 85 inside. It felt like a meat locker to me. When I say my digital thermometer on the kitchen counter it was 69 degrees!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Evaporator.png
Views:	72
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	39035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 5.01.22 AM.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	39036  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum