Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 08:48 PM   #5
RunnerJim

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Vegas 25.3
State: Nebraska
THOR #24456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renocide View Post
I have a 2023 Thor Tellaro with the standard equipped "underhood generator" along with the 200 amp hour system.

I'm a complete novice so...

According to Thor you just run the engine when you would normally use a generator and that provides power. Now, unless I am mistaken, a generator uses a "hour" scale to determine when you would need to perform maintenance on your generator and a gasoline engine uses the miles indicator to determine when you would perform maintenance.

When the van is running and you're not moving nothing is "measuring" anything how do you know when to do an oil change??

I haven't found anything in the literature saying anything other than perform maintenance according to the guide that came with the ProMaster chassis.

I also contacted Thor directly and they insisted that I do it according to the maintenance schedule that is indicated in the owners manual which is in miles.

My stupid tiny brain tells me that when the engine is running its breaking down the oil regardless of whether the wheels are turning so the oil changes need to adjust accordingly but nothing tells you how to do that.

Am I wrong? Is this something I don't have to worry about?

This might not apply, but food for thought anyway. As an over the road truck driver we used to idle the equipment 8-10 hours a day for heat and A/C. Probably 8-10 months out of the year. (This was before the auxiliary power units that are on many of the trucks today) We always used mileage for oil changes and other service. Also, we were cautioned by the manufacturer to avoid idling as much as possible on a new (or rebuilt) engine until it was broken in. Idling didn't produce as much heat and could lead to the rings not seating properly.
RunnerJim is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.