Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post
I was wondering if any one has any thoughts on the insulation of these vans when they leave the factory and if anyone has done anything to improve this? .....cut.....
Insulation is one of the most discussed subjects on van forums where many build their own camper because it can be very important depending on how/where camper will be used. Some boondock in desert in summer and others camp to ski in winter. Both extremes have their own issues.

The Tellaro is based on a “window van” chassis so I think right from the start my focus would be to cover and insulate all exposed glass area as good as possible; within reason of course. Window vans like mine are great in providing an open feeling (makes van feel much larger instead of a small cave) but factory glass has very little insulation value. Worse yet, during the day all that glass allows sun light to penetrate through van exterior and turn it into a mini greenhouse.

Covering windshield on outside helps a lot, and is more effective than placing a shield on inside of van. Those stop light and provide privacy, but it is best to stop solar radiant heat outside the van, not after it has gone through glass.

Obviously parking in shade is much better than in sun, and if parked in sun and have an option, try to orient van so awning can keep sun from coming through side windows. Basically, awning on south side of van helps more than on north, though it will give you less shade when sitting outside.

In theory and also in my experience, opening the door to get in and out of van isn’t as bad as it sounds as long as it is not left open for long periods. While outside air is hot, air itself doesn’t take much effort to cool unless it is also very humid. What I never do is open door so long that it allows van interior to warm up.

Another variable that you can’t control after the fact is van color. Regardless of insulation, a white van reflects more light/heat than dark ones (green and dark grey seem popular but outside metal can get hotter).

My van is not a ProMaster but I have the same basic limitations of a window van having too much glass area to be efficient for air conditioning. Keeping it warm in winter has been easier by comparison, but we don’t camp where it gets very cold — about 20 F is coldest I recall.

To me anything below 80 F inside van sounds great and would take it as a win.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.