Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #21
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Judge, thanks for the information. It made things a lot easier, no need to spend days browsing bumpers to try to find a quality one.

My plastic bumper cover was separated left and right side from the 4 clips holding it to the factory bumper. It also cracked the whole way through where the adhesive was securing it to the factory bumper. One of my fog lights was smashed and the opposite side had a crack going halfway up the cover. I was just one strong breeze away from losing it, I just grabbed and tugged and it popped right off!

My factory bumper underneath was intact, but the side with the crack had a bend in it. I've hit plenty of road debris at this point, so it was probably from one of those times.

I bump curbs, go on gravel roads, and have a lot of mileage for my Magnitude's age, so I think my use case exasperated an already insufficient quality front bumper. I've had more than enough close calls with elk and deer, and run a plate bumper on my Tacoma after I used the factory one to kill Bambi, so this mod was easy for me to justify.

I was able to get new tow hooks on Ebay for under $100, then the bumper from Amazon for $1400: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078978XHK . The bumper arrived in 3 days and was meticulously packed and high quality.

It took under 30 minutes to remove the factory bumper and around 2 hours to install the new one. I skimmed the instructions before starting, but removal of the factory bumper and installation of the new one is so straightforward it was trivial. I have a shop of tools and a decent amount of experience wrenching, so it may take someone with normal garage tools a bit longer. I did need to ask my neighbor to help me lift it into place, it's heavy duty. It was maybe a 2 beer job. No big deal.

I have new foglights on order, I'm just going to use some generic LED pods.

Magnitude RB34 with new bumper attached.

Looks great!!!!

It makes the Magnitude look rugged but it is very functional. If you end up clipping a deer, etc., you have a fighting chance to keep the coach mobile. It should protect the radiator and even the lights.

I don't know why Thor chose to put the plastic over the stock chrome bumper. I guess to give it more of a heavy truck look. But the Ford stock bumper is not all the rugged either. It would get destroyed with a deer / elk strike.

This bumper is as solid as they come and while it may need replaced after a deer / elk strike, I think damage to the front end would be minimal for the most part.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum