Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Boondocking
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #8
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I kept it simple, because there are two paths you can go.

Path #1 is the ultra expensive HUGE bank of lithium batteries, combined with a HUGE bank of solar panels. This is for those who strive to be able to boondock "generator free" and run everything, including AC, from inverted battery power.

Path #2 is what I call the "efficiency route". You don't have the funds to invest in a lithium setup. But you need to keep your lead-acid batteries charged while boondocking. Realize you WON'T be running AC off battery power, but will need to run your generator for that.

Many folks use Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) sealed batteries, which are more expensive than flooded lead acid batteries, BUT there's no maintenance (adding water) involved. The number of batteries needed depends on your electric usage.

For instance, I ditched the single 12volt battery that came with my rig, and installed two 6volt GC2 golf cart batteries. Wired in series rated at 215 amp hours each, I have about 107 amp hours available, which is 1/2 the battery capacity. To keep them topped off without generator use, I installed two 100 watt solar panels on the roof.

The same GC2 batteries I bought for $90 two years ago are now $109 each. 100 watt solar panels are now under $90 each... but I'd recommend buying at least 150 watt panels now. I bought a 40amp MPPT controller for $140.

With a couple cables, I kept it well under $400. Some people spend at least that on a single battery!

My batteries are under the steps (class C), and it takes me all of 5 minutes once a month to check them. The entire setup has worked flawlessly for keeping the batteries fully charged. We never need to run the generator for just charging batteries... BUT we do need the generator for high amperage use, like the AC, microwave or using electric (instead of propane) for the water heater.

But that's just us... YOUR usage may be entirely different!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum