Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #20
marine6805

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Cool Driving Conditions are deplorable . . . .IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Just got back from a 3-week trip from Indiana to Montana and back.
Nothing new to any of you who travel but I feel the need to rant about the deplorable condition of our Nation's Interstate Highways.
Let's start with Indiana, my home state, If I were to give the highway's a grade INDIANA would get a D
ILLINOIS Interstate 80 would get a D-. The section of 80 around Joliet Illinois was the worst highway we drove on. The bone jarring ride has now created squeaks in the dash of the ACE we never had before.
IOWA Interstate 80 would get a C- but the section of I 29 from Sioux City to Sioux Falls South Dakota rates a B.
SOUTH DAKOTA; Is trying to keep I 90 in decent shape large stretches have been repaved with new concrete, South Dakota rates a B.
On to WYOMING; Wyoming gets a D+. The + is only because they are trying to seal I 90. IMHO they should be repaving rather than putting down that crappy chip/seal that they were using around Sheridan. (We all love to drive on that crap when it's fresh and is a tire tread killer till it gets worn in.)
And then there is MONTANA, another D. The road surface is worn through, and we have been on rollercoasters that don't have the swoops that I 90 has.
I think if Eisenhower were alive to see his vision of a coast-to-coast Interstate Highway System in this kind of shape he would surely be pissed off!
It is a damn shame that we spend umteen thousands of dollars for motorhomes and travel trailers then have the roads of this nation beat them to a pulp!

As an aside the only reason I didn't give any an F is we are still driving on them
We just completed a 5,700+ mile road trip from Blaine Washington to Michigan City Indiana, on to Heber Springs Arkansas, then to Pueblo West Colorado, through Yellowstone and then back to Blaine (August 14 thru Sep 16) and avoided Interstate highways at all cost . . . .but driving according to conditions was paramount to a safe trip and memorable experience.
During this trip we drove an average of 5 MPH slower than previous trips (same destinations along the way) and averaged 1+ MPG better than previous trips.
Coffee tasted better as well . . . . more time to sip, savor, and enjoy!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum