Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:28 PM   #17
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
Wow. Thank you! The fridge issue was resolved. The breaker was tripped overnight for some reason. For the other questions. Everything seems fine on shore power. Both ACs running on Gen power without issue. Have plenty of fuel in both tanks. I’m sure there is something simple I’m overlooking. Inverter is powered up but my gut says not working or not transferring but my gut is ignorant so there’s that. Sitting here now. Gen shut off. Fridge is working. House lights working. No microwave or 120 outlets.

Inverter first......... You said a breaker was tripped. Which breaker? There is a 15A breaker that is for the AC input to the inverter. If this breaker is tripped the fridge would always run off the inverter if the inverter was turned On. If the breaker was tripped and the inverter was turned Off, the fridge would never have power and turn on.

The DC side of the Inverter has used a 300A fuse in the past.... unless Thor now switched to a Bussman type breaker in the battery compartment for the inverter DC. If they did and that breaker tripped, then you would not have inverter power when you were off shore or generator power.

Now back to the convection oven (inverter has nothing to do with the oven / generator problem)......

If your generator is running both A/C units simultaneously without the generator shutting down for 30 minutes or more, there is no reason why it couldn't handle the oven running in convection or microwave mode.

The oven max power is 1400 - 1500 watts. Each A/C unit will use between 1000 - 1300 watts depending on conditions. If you can run both A/C units, then you are using over 1000 watts on each 120V leg of the generator.

Also, if both A/C's run on the generator and run off shore power, your coach ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is working properly.

- Are you running in microwave mode or convection mode when this happens? Have you tried both modes to see if both modes shuts down the generator?

- What is the outside air temp when this has been happening? I'm trying to determine if the generator could be overheating.

- Have you checked the oil level in the generator? A low oil level will cause the generator to shut down. It would shut down regardless of what is running in the coach.

- What elevation are you when this is happening? For every 1000 foot increase in elevation, you lose about 3% of your generator power capability. If you were at 10,000 feet instead of sea level, you could lose up to as much as 30% of your power generation capability. There is an outside chance that the generator could be overloaded at a high elevation if you are running the oven, it is powering the fridge and charging the batteries, etc.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum