Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Convection Oven on Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseDBTR View Post
Such good info. Thank you! I need to do a bit more experimenting. Here is a pic of the breaker. It trips consistently. Air temp is about 55 degrees and we are at about 1k altitude so nothing crazy there. Generator seems to run fine other than this issue. We were attempting true convection, haven’t really used just microwave side yet. I will keep experimenting. Do think there is an issue for inverter breaker to trip consistently which may or may not have anything to do with this.

You didn’t post the picture of the breaker so please post it for me to help you better.

A breaker tripping for the inverter will have nothing to do with the over / generator problem. It would be two separate issues.

I need to see the breaker that is tripping to understand your inverter issue. But if it is the AC input breaker is tripping, then there is either a short or something is demanding too much current causing the 15A breaker to trip. But again, this has nothing to do with the oven since they are completely separate circuits.

The only things on the Inverter circuit is the fridge (and outside fridge on the SV34), the TV at the cab-over bunk, the outside TV and an outlet next to the bed. There is nothing that is a high demand appliance on that circuit.

Two times in the past 3 years we have had our Convection Oven just completely shut down during use. We ended up unplugging it to reset it and then it would work fine again. But it has never tripped a breaker or caused generator issues.

The oven has a 15A breaker in its circuit. If the oven had an issue with pulling too much power, it should trip that beaker long before it could overload the generator and cause it to shut down.

Now we could have a Thor quality issue when it comes to the AC (alternating current not air conditioner) wiring.... which would not be a surprise. I would start off simple. Go to Home Depot and get an outlet tester like this one if you don't have one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...102R/206029151

I would go to the outlet in the cabinet where the oven plugs in and test it.

I would also test the outlets on the Inverter circuit as well since you seem to think you have an issue there as well. The fridge would be tough to get to so you can skip that for now.

We want to eliminate simple things first like open ground, neutral or hot wires and reverse polarity.

I won't rule out a generator problem at this point but if it can run the two A/C units (air conditioner) for 30+minutes, I find it hard to believe there is an issue with the generator itself.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum