Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
The Gritz Carlton

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Mine is a 2019 and I'd jump at the opportunity do do it again with the same build quality. No serious issues in general and no issues whatsoever with the full wall slide or the front cap. When Thor designed the Super C, they also opened a new plant to build them...Plant 250. At the onset, the Super C was the only model built there and was a brand new introduction. The initial build process was monitored by many engineers/designers and was basically "hand built" one unit at a time with a pretty serious quality check at the end. The success of the Super C was huge. First time ever you could get the body of a large Class A with the cab quality of a commercial truck and the power of a diesel. I think, as they became more popular they rolled into the everyday processes and became "mass produced" with less attention to details and less quality checks at the end. The cab mounting process was also changed "cost effective" to reduce the time and materials used. Bolts were changed to screws, etc. The process of how they were attached to the top of the truck cab was redesigned (not a good word) as well to probably reduce time and cost. As far as 70-80% of the owners having cap issues...can't be that bad with the older units. The vast majority of people that have not had issues are not complaining on the forums. As far as towing, I tow an aluminum R&R tandem trailer with a Cadillac XT5, portable generators, extra fuel jugs, ladder and a few items strapped on. Total weight is around 7000-7500+ pounds and I have to look back to make sure its still there. The power is amazing. The only thing I would look into...around 2015/2016 Thor had serious issues with the full wall slides and the two track system. They designed and patented the 3-Trax system and this resolved most of the failures. If the one you're looking at has only two rows of tracks on the full wall slide...don't buy it. If it has 3 rows of track on each end, it's the newer system. I normally drive 64MPH on cruise and it never drops a gear on regular highways...only in the really inclined mountain roads. We will be selling ours in the not so distant future to downsize and the one huge plus I can advertise..."Pre-2020 model with no slide or front cap issues". Good luck!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.