Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #20
mowmow

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #19001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Thanks for taking a stab at my question, but what you explained is a manual breaker...that is not what I'm referring to.

There is a difference between a fuse that you can manually reset such as a "breaker", then there are fuses that have a low temp metal which melts when the current exceeds its rating...and then there are thermal fuses, that once the current exceeds the rated current, the bi-metal heats up and mechanically breaks the circuit...once the circuit is broken, there is no more current, and once there is no more current, the bi-metal cools and reconnects, and the cycle continues.
Many of the fuses used in power seats is a bi-metal fuse...that resets itself. The question is...why do they use this type of fuse? As I mentioned, I would not want a fuse to reset itself if an over current condition were encountered.

I think there is some confusion here on the common types of fuses & breakers:
* Fuse: Blows on over current and must be replaced
* Thermal fuse: Blows on excessive temperature - often used in small fan motors where they are not meant to be replaced - you throw that away
* Resettable fuse: Also PTC (for positive temperature coefficient) is essentially a solid-state device that never fully disconnects the load when it "trips", thus power must be removed to reset it.
* Circuit breaker: Must be manually reset
* Self-reset or Auto-reset breaker: Typically bi-metal and will continue to cycle until the overload condition goes away

You can always place a piezo buzzer across an auto-reset breaker and then you have a beeping notification for the overload...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.