Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #3
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I just changed the oil on my 2021 Axis 24.1 with the 7.3 V8. It is a total PITA but it is doable. Most shops won't touch that job so I had to do it myself.

I first bought a few things that were essential:

This funnel and corrugated tubing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I also bought about 3' of clear tubing that I spliced in between the funnel and the corrugated tubing. More about this later.

This oil drain pan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I first pulled my coach's front end up on some heavy duty ramps I use for leveling so I could slide underneath easily. I placed the pan underneath the drain plug and after warming up the engine, unscrewed the plug and let it drain into the pan. Then I removed the old oil filter by punching a screw driver through it so I could loosen it. I put a new filter on and tightened it as well as the drain plug.

Now back on top, I opened the hood. The oil filler port is in the middle but a bit toward the driver's side on the top. See the Ford owner's manual for a drawing of the engine compartment. Remove the cap and you will know if it is the right one if it has an oil filler symbol.

Then I fed the corrugated end of the funnel and hose into the filler port and held the funnel in place with the windshield washer blades. While standing on a ladder, I then slowly poured 8 quarts in (what the manual said it held). I started the engine, let it run for a few seconds and checked the oil level. The dipstick is on the passenger side and is about 3' long and another PITA to feed in. It was about a half a quart low. So I added more oil, checked the level again and it was fine.

I will take the oil pan container back to the auto parts store to get rid of the oil.

I used exactly the Ford recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend oil which was about $36 for a 5 gallon jug at Advance Auto Parts store. I used a Purolator oil filter.

It all worked out fine, but it took about an hour do do it all.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum