Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 06:36 AM   #41
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we drove our 40 foot bus up that old volcano , capulin or something . man what a drive up and down
they closed the road so we could drive the up, we didnt have a towed with us at the time

https://www.nps.gov/cavo/index.htm
Wow that is it. That area (Sierra Grande) is where I normally make my altitude adjustments for the generator. We took the RV up a mountain outside Golden CO (6,500 ft) going to a trail. It was just as nerving going down as going up with all of those Jeeps in the way

We have a 29 ft (no towed) and had no problem pulling the hill or braking coming down. That said, I can't imagine a 40ft up top that volcano, kudos to those park officials to close the road for you.

Since you know the region,
and for another nugget for the OP on rest stops and why I never worry about them day or night. We stopped in a town called Memphis, Texas one night at around 8:00 PM, very small, but we saw a restaurant that looked very enticing for the area and we wanted dinner, plus a football game was coming on TV So the DW goes inside and orders dinner, the parking lot was basically empty, so I found the perfect parking spot. The food was great and we tipped good. We noticed they were about to close at 9:00PM. The DW wife goes back inside and asked if we stay parked overnight? Not only did they say yes, the Manager wrote out a note with a name and contact info should any authority approach us We spent the night and was not bothered. When we got up at 7:00 am the next morning the parking lot was packed. I could barely get out. What makes this story so great was about 30 - 40 miles West of Memphis Texas was a Rest Stop that we had stopped at first, but it was on the full side and we had to park on the side close to the restroom building, but it was not too clear to me if it was a legit parking spot or not even though others were doing the same? So we left the Rest Stop and just kept driving. As fate would have it, we got closer to our end destination, I had a steak dinner, watched a NFL football game streaming from my T - Mobile phone Hot spot at time, and a overnight parking lot all to our own. ( No slide out, but jacks were down and generator running)

Thanks for the Capulin video, it reminded me of how awesome the Sierra Grande and the Capulin volcano areas were.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum