Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #56
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
When staying at Walmarts I look for a spot where the (side) slide will overhang onto a grass area... usually way out at the end of the lot. No chance of getting hit.
Our 1st Wal Mart was Daytona Beach, Florida. Upscale area with nice trees etc. I had stopped because it was my 1st day and 1st night driving the RV and to be honest, I had the white knuckles thing going because roads were bad and every bump felt like tires were falling off. I saw Wal Mart and took the exit. They had signs all over the place clearly stating "No Overnight Parking" My wife had stuff she wanted to buy that we needed like pillows, toilet paper etc. etc. When she got back she had over $300 worth of crap. I told her we could not spend the night because of the signs; so she went back inside and talked to Customer Service, she showed them her receipt and they apparently did not need the Manager; they told her we could stay overnight.

I didn't let the slide out, and it was not because I was afraid it would get hit or some other etiquette. Back then this site had me scared to death to use a slide out of fear it would get stuck out and not come back in.

I guess the takeaway is, between rest stops, walmarts and other options for some, you don't need to overkill your planning for a trip unless you just have specific places you wish to go and stay.

I use to try to find a campsite on my journey, call them confirm availability and pricing and but not reserve. Once we got to that area we would do a drive by and in most cases I did not like. So we just moved on with no liability. I don't bother anymore, I just drive, it is part of the adventure for us.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum