Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:43 PM   #11
Mousemate

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Attachment 40248
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
My beef with a FWS is only partly the slide mechanism, mainly it's the weakness to the house framing and structure when you make that big of an unsupported hole in the side. In the hole you have no vertical studs, no side supports and no real support for the header. If you look at a house and say a garage door you will have either layered 2x12 header or an engineered beam and that's in a stationary structure. An RV that shakes, rattles, rolls and twists has very little header for the opening. Yes a FWS really opens up the floor space but to me it's just too weak a structure for a mobile RV. Some manufacturers do better and some chassis are stiffer but all the chassis will twist and a twisting chassis is a twisting house.

My Itasca Horizon DP on a FL customs XC chassis was a 4 slide RV. HWH hydraulic slide mechanism all the way around and very reliable.
I am fine with the structure of my 2015 ACE 29.3 with the full wall slide....(sides, and roof aluminum, floor steel)see attached structure for the 5"beam running front to back.... they are also upping the thickness per the need .....
I purchased the Thor because ...
Newmar and tiffin were still using wood in there's.
Winnebago has no roof structure in there's.
my issue was not structural it was slide system.
vroom has worked flawless so far....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum