Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgia View Post
I’m adding 600w and a 100/50 Mppt, factory wiring safe enough to handle this? I can live with voltage drop just want to be safe.
Since you are not the OP, I assume that the total solar panel wattage is 600. How many? Nominal 12V or nominal 24V?

The 10 gauge typical roof to controller wiring is capable of handling 60 amps, which will be safe with your 600 watts of panels even if they are 12V nominal all wired in parallel. But the voltage drop will be big, about 2 volts. Better to wire them in series/parallel. If you have six 100 watt panels, you can wire three each in series and then the two sets in parallel. That will significantly reduce the voltage drop. But be careful about the total voltage. You are getting up to 60+ volts open circuit with three 12V panels in series.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum