Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
From what I have read on line wind power turbines aren't for RV's because of the heights needed. A mast on a sail boat is great.
We went the solar route because of panel portability so they can be moved around in the sun. Been using it since 2012 and really don't like the noise of a genny. Been a whole lot better if thor had gone with A honda or anything thats make a lot less noise then the trashing machine Onan. A cheap work around for charging is a portable smart charger of about 20 amps. The WFCO is a pile of junk good only for a trickle charger. The distribution panel is great though.
Thinking about storing the panels on the cab bunk if the motors can raise/lower about 50 #.
Actually, you never mount a wind generator on top of the mast, they are always mounted on a short mast on the stern, so height is not the issue. While wind speed is generally higher at higher heights, it's impractical to get up the mast and weight up high is too much of a problem. I don't think that wind would be a practical single source to charge the batteries in an RV, but if I were planning to stay several months at a time dry camping, I think it might be a viable answer along with solar cells, as long as you are in an area with decent wind.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum