Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
RonRM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Tellaro 2023/20L 200Ah Relion/Balmar UHG - rewiring etc.

I'm sure you either crawled under the rig, peeked into under the beds, or saw pics...Thor wiring/plumbing layouts, components and manufacturing techniques are abysmal...understatement.

On top of my OCD for neat/safe wiring, I've been following DIY Smart RV FB group for a bit, got some good automation ideas from there.

I've started collecting the parts and planning the work. Too cold to work on it at this time of year in WI.

My plans are to re-do/improve as needed.

List so far:
Re-route, re-connect, remove excess wiring
Add ditch lights (almost hit a coyote at 70, headlights are good, but not wide enough for night driving on 2 lane roads)
Add battery negative lead disconnect near shunts
Add MC4s between panels and solar charge controller
Add DC breaker/switch to solar charge controller output
Add second 190W panel (in series to avoid changing out controller for now)
Add second (more accurate and informative) smart shunt in series with Balmar
Add several temp logging devices (via ESP32s/cheap BT thermometers - integrated with Home Assistant)
Clean up plumbing around pump - recover enough space for more batteries
Clean up wiring behind fuse panel - recover storage for needed, but infrequently accessed stuff (spares, tools...etc).
Add water flow measurement sensor/esp32 integrated with Home Assistant
I'm sure I'll find more stuff as I go.

I'm on the hunt for the best weather/water proof connectors. The German style automotive connectors are getting higher on my list. Amazon has several offers, of seemingly various quality, hard to choose. Any thoughts?

Every single one of those butt-splice crimp connectors will corrode in a few years, particularly the ones exposed to rain/snow/salt.

I'm thinking the exposed fuse holders should either be moved to a block (protected from elements) or better weather proof holders.

All the RAM stuff seems good, it's the Thor work that needs complete re-work.

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum