Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodridsge View Post
Another question, as you enter the main door, I have a toggle switch marked battery, bottom of the switch says store, top of switch says use. When RV not on road, but hooked up to 110 at home or at campsite, should the position of the toggle switch be in the stored or use position? NOTE: When in use position and 110 connected, the converter runs continuously. Is this normal? Thanks!
I have yet to trace out my circuit, and wishing I had a schematic.... no actualy I'm dumfounded why thor doesn't issue one.....
Anyway, I plan to in short order trace out these circuits, BUT here's my assumption
Since the 12VDC stuff in the coach still operates when the rig is plugged in even if the battery switch (relay) is in "store" mode.... I'm thinking that this relay only isolates the battery from the system. This would make perfect sense to isolate the battery from parisitic loads while in storage
so
if you have your coach plugged in but the battery is in "store" mode, the battery will not be charged and maintained by the converter. This is bad for the battery.

My guess is that the fan on you converter is running becasue the converter is working overtime to charge your battery. I don't know what converter you have, but my fan only runs when ity's needed, and that is only when the thing is powering a load.

So, my recommendation is that when it's plugged into your house power, the battery isolation relay should be in the "use" position.
Once the battery is charged, then you could disconnect power and switch the relay to the "store" position if you'll not be using it for a while.

Just remember to check the water levels in the battery now and then if you leave it plugged in and charging, and if you disconnect it, you'll need to re-charge now and then. These batteries will self discharge, even if sitting with nothing connected to them.....

And if the battery is discharged it needs to be recharged as soon as practical....
and you should never discharge the battery too much..... some sources say not below 50% as a rule of thumb. For their true deep cycle batteries, Trojan says not below 20%.

One last comment on batteries.....
I'm guessing this is a brand new coach....
I suggest that you check your battery, or have it checked.
these things don't handle deep discharges well. If you let them go dead a few times it will kill the battery.
If you let the cells get dry, even partially, it can hurt or kill the battery....
Think about these things when they are on the dealer lot. they aren't typically plugged in.
They sit for a long period of time self discharging
salesman show them to folks and lights get swictched on and left that way overnight or longer....
& my bet is that dealers aren't religious about maintaining them regularly.
So..... safe bet your battery is not holding a charge and that is why the converter's fan is always on.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum