Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 12:33 AM   #17
RonRM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Close, but no, I'm talking about the poor design, planning and hap-hazard assembly processes used by Thor that need correcting.

These practices lead to near dangerous or for certain premature failure of electrical connections. I'm good enough at starting camp fires, I don't need any help from my rigs electrical system.

Some might want to take back to the dealer and have it sit for months while they try to get it right.

Some might want to dig right in and make the corrections themselves. To each their own, I'll dig in.

Exposed connections, cheap butt splice connectors, butt splice/ring connectors smashed to the point you can see the metal insides, not so water tight in-line fuse holders, exposed wiring outside of split loom, exposed lever nuts - with a little bit of tape on them, super tight wire runs, pinched wires, frayed wire sticking out of lugs... I could go on and on.

BTW, whether or not the fuse is in-line or in a protected box, doesn't matter whatsoever; yes, I am an electrical engineer. Fuses protect wiring, not the electrical components they are connected to. Good design puts the fuse as close to the danger as possible, limiting the exposure to 'hot' wires down stream in the case of an issue. That's not the way Thor built my rig and probably many others'.

Attached is are a few sample pics so you can wrap your head around what we are talking about. These are of the exposed underside of the rig, it actually gets worse when you look at the inside wiring but at least that isn't directly exposed to the elements - particularly worrisome is road salt, never mind anything that could bounce up off the road. This stuff is no joke.

ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220919_172706.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	40515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220905_133237.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	40516  

2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.