Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #5
robtx

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #4521
Thanks.

My new 2016 Palazzo was supposed to allow raising and lowering the jacks with the engine running, but did not. I was told by a tech at the dealer it was often the case while the chassis battery was charging. Use shore power or generator.

I discovered two 100 AMP circuit breakers in the battery compartment, and both had been tripped. How and/or by whom is a mystery. That did not solve the leveling jacks problem.

The culprit was that my coach battery was not being charged from the engine alternator due to a faulty Trombetta solenoid. Took me a while to puzzle that out. It showed 11.5 volts with engine running, and 11.9 volts on shore on the purple wire from the BIRD. Chassis to coach was open with engine running but closed on shore power. Voltage across chassis batteries was 14.1 volts.

Before replacing the solenoid, panic set in when the coach was on jacks and the generator was a little slow starting. So I reviewed the procedure for raising the jacks if there is a failure of the pump motor. Discovered the location of the pump (front right of the generator) prevented attachment of a drill with a 1/2 inch socket unless a right angle attachment was added to the drill. So, added a right angle attachment to the coach tool chest.

Upon reading some problems with the slide, I discovered the you tube video showing how to lubricate, and also reviewed manual retraction procedures. The control panels for the slides are on ceilings of compartments. One front left. The other is on the ceiling in the same compartment as the solenoids and inverter.

Also, I have an Axxera AVM10BH monitor/radio/etc and found no documentation. Downloaded from Axxera and learned much, including how to disconnect the rear camera and attach it to a dedicated monitor.

I would have not known about access to the air pump except it was mentioned by a tech at the dealer. Purchased a 50 foot air hose and fittings so can air the tires.

One continuing mystery and worry is the 0.3 volts drop at the 12 volt plug on the dash when the dash A/C is turned on and the alternator is not charging the chassis. The voltage showing on the inverter control panel does not drop. Is it because of resistance of undersized wiring? It seems odd that the dash A/C is getting its electric power from the coach.

I rely on the backup camera for tight parking, but find it impossible to tilt the camera down enough to see the back bumper because of the custom recessed mounting epoxied inside the recessed panel. Fix is still in the looking at options phase.

Elsewhere, I learned of difficulty in fueling from the right side, and experienced diesel splashing back even when filling slowly. Have not traced the hose on that side. Have only filled the tank once so don't know about the left side.

Had significant shimmy through the steering wheel, so stopped by a smallish Mchelin truck tire dealer. The front tires were in balance, but one was not properly mounted so that it wobbled. The tire was remounted, but I still have a little shimmy. Maybe there is some play in the front end, or ??? Not sure what to do.

I feel like I am just discovering the vehicle, and a longish trip is coming up soon. Hope to do a 600 mile roundtrip before then (to get the four corners weighed).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum