Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
kmessall

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #4530
Not to put too fine a point, but

If you drive your own car into your own house accidentally, your car insurance company will not cover the damage to your house (You can't file a claim against yourself). BUT your homeowner's insurance company will pay for the damage to your house, after you pay your deductible. You'll also have to pay a deductible to get your car fixed. Same if your kid is learning how to drive and hits your house. But if he hits the neighbor's house, your car insurance liability will pay for the house, but you still have to pay your deductible to get your car fixed.
Coverage for your trailer was available. You didn't buy the coverage. If you had, you'd be paying the trailer policy deductible to fix your trailer, and the MH policy deductible to fix your MH. What you're looking for is the same fix on the trailer, deductible free, by claiming that the YOU driving your MH can be sued by the YOU that owns the trailer. You ran into you and you have to be responsible for that. Either by paying for the damage you did to yourself, or by having the right kind of insurance and paying your deductible.
If insurance worked the way you want it to I could buy an 83 Datsun and insure it for liability, then drive it into my house so that its liability policy would pay for a new front door and window in my house. Or I could ram it into my old trailer and use the liability money to buy me a new trailer.
Their rep shouldn't have told you not to insure it in the first place. If you could prove that you were told not to buy a policy for the trailer I think your insurance company might want to pay for this damage just to avoid court. If they find you some coverage its a good bet that is why. But think about buying a policy specifically for the trailer before you move it again!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum