Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 02:33 PM   #19
robertj1961

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tellaro 20L
State: North Carolina
THOR #26907
Very Interesting way to "wake up" the batteries. I have not yet used my emergency start switch and may give that a try at some point. In my case, the Balmar was showing voltage when I started the generator however, but then abruptly shut down once the Mastervolt turned on. I will not try that again in cold weather. I suppose just need to plug in to shore power when it is that cold.

My question about this is if I plug in and the batteries are too cold to charge, is the Mastervolt smart enough to not go in to "bulk charging" mode and the BMS shuts everything down? I know in Ron's case who is keeping his plugged in batteries are staying warm enough to maintain charge, but what happens if the batteries are too cold and a heat up period is required prior to charging which could be as much as an hour. Will the BMS cut all DC power to the van? It appears so. The only time I know for sure this happened my display was showing 5.2 volts and nothing DC including lights etc would work normally.

I am also wondering what should be displayed on the Mastervolt display while the batteries are heating up and not charging? I have not tested that yet on 30 amp. Could it be the display is showing "bulk charging" when in actually batteries are just being heated up? If that is true then that would explain why the Balmar shows 0 amps "going in" while the mastervolt still displays "bulk charging"

Also wondering if the BMS requires ambient temperatures to rise or when it resets to start supplying DC power again once it shuts down?

If the mastervolt shuts down, batteries will not be able to heat up which is what I thought was happening but could be wrong.

Thanks for the video about the wake up of the Relions as that is very interesting. I have not had mine "go to sleep" however due to temperature that I am aware of. They have shut down once power is applied however.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.