Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Bob Montgomery

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
I did not get gas struts either. I added them myself and here is the challenge: The bed frame is made from thin pressboard. The struts require some ummmffff (its an engineering term) to lift the bed. When you go to close the bed you have to overcome the ummmffff and the result is a torn up bed frame. The second problem is keeping the hatch closed. Because the 29.3 hatch is small there is not a lot of the mattress sitting on the hatch so it will tend to pop open.

Long story short, adding struts also meant reinforcing the hinges and the frame they attach to, and installing several catches to keep the lid shut.
Thank you for sharing. I did not know the bed frame was made of pressboard. Yuk. I will not add struts. Too bad Thor gives us manuals that are generic and absolutely do not address the ACE. I guess if it wasn't for the bad manual, we wouldn't have any manual so maybe it is better than nothing. Thank you for your post.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.