Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 09:28 PM   #5
RonRM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #27874
Unfortunately Thor didn't do anyone any favors when it comes to troubleshooting, since we don't have ways to isolate components to figure out which one works and which one failed.

But you did offer up some good clues...

As you describe it, 'Balmar alternator is bad'...how did it fail? I guess it could be in a failure mode where it's draining the batteries faster than the Combi could charge...that would be easy to find...just start touching things(infrared thermometer would save your skin)...something would be hot. If it did a field dump as it died (basically >12VDC dump at high current onto the 12V system)...that could fry any number of components - combi, BMS...etc.

The fact that the Combi resets and the batteries drop down - even while plugged in (as I read the post)...seems there's only the combi and the batteries involved.

So, one would think either...or both

Combi is FooBar or as mentioned - programmed incorrectly
Battery BMS (one or both) is shot

Now it's entirely possible for the stupid timer thing to drain the batteries, I wouldn't think it could do that when it's plugged in - the Combi would sense low volts and kick into it's charging cycle and bring the batteries back up.

I don't think there can be any definitive conclusions without digging into voltages and programming.

Things to note:

Balmar will field dump if it's load is disconnected while charging - there is a device from Balmar that can protect from this. This is vey rare if you are not in a place below battery low temp cut-off. Also, if your Balmar fried - I'd check the parameter setup in the Balmar regulator and make sure the temp sensor is working. Mine wasn't even connected on delivery.

Combi only senses voltages - it uses it's programming to determine when and where to enter it's charge cycles.

Combi has status LEDs - low/high battery, marginal use but still better than nothing

Combi has an interface (windows pc and their software) - Programming/status/errors can be viewed with the app. I'd start here.

Relion's - semi brain dead batteries...BMS cuts out at low temp, hi temp and over current (they don't deliver output when heating - that's just lovely) - no bluetooth interface to tell anything about them. You can measure the voltage, and look at their well designed logos...but that's it.

Curious what the dealer finds

Ron
2023 Thor Tellaro 20L 200Amp Reliable -no generator
RonRM is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum