Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 06:40 PM   #8
darkNEskies

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nebraska
THOR #28338
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkNEskies View Post
My new 23TE was winterized by the dealer. This is our first RV & I'm as green as they come, but doing my best to absorb everything. I understand the 2 valve water heater bypass system being in the winter position. I see the anti-freeze port in your photos, which is probably a quicker & easier way to winterize. I do not know the purpose of or why that silver valve on the inlet side of the water pump was in the shut-off position. What circumstances would require the pump to be shut off from the fresh water tank? When examining my rig, I also saw the strainer on the pump full of water, which is concerning because we had many days well below zero this winter (down to -25 F).
This situation is interesting. Here is what Girard says about winterization:

From Girard GSWH-2 Technical Manual

Winterization

Freezing of the water heater and its plumbing components will result in severe damage that is not covered by warranty. For this reason, the water heater contains a winter use device that will keep the water heater from freezing when using the RV is freezing conditions. See the information about the Winter Use Device for proper use.

At the start of the winter season or before traveling to a location where freezing conditions are likely, the unit must be winterized. The very small amount of water present in the heat exchanger does not require a bypass. In fact, it is not recommended.

Freezing water inside of the heat exchanger (just like a tank water heater) will expand and cause a bulging crack on one of the copper tubes of the heat exchanger.

Winterization can be accomplished via the two common methods of winterization used for RV systems. But we highly recommend RV Antifreeze in the water heater heat exchanger. I have had many people think they have gotten all the water out with compressed air whose water heater froze up, but no one who used anti-freeze has ever had freeze damage.

1- Compressed Air Method : Drain all of the water from the system opening one tap at a time and using compressed air to purge all remaining water.

2- RV Anti-Freeze Method : Follow the recommendations of the Recreation Vehicle manufacturer and fill the system with a nontoxic anti-freeze. Make sure that the anti-freeze flows from each tap to complete the process.

Thor installed the bypass system despite Girard recommending not to. They installed that shutoff valve on the inlet line. A Thor tech support rep cannot tell me what it's for. They are researching it and said they would let me know. In a Thor video (the one with Old Man Winter), they state to bypass the water heater. They also show removing the outside drain plug from the unit. I don't believe there is a drain plug on the GSWH-2.

My other question is where the inlet side from the pump goes, besides the fresh water tank, and is the fresh water tank before or after that silver shutoff valve.

Cheers

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.