Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2023, 08:44 PM   #1
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Weighed the Tow Vehicle Today: Should I stop the Project over 420 lbs?

Using my Cat Scale reweigh option; my wife and I returned to get a new weigh on steer axle, drive axle and the trailer axle. (note: the towed was not hitched or connected via a tow bar) Not sure what impact that has on weight measurement good or bad?)

Upfront condition: Please get past the obvious that a smaller tow vehicle is easier, but focus on my desire to tow my already owned Lincoln Navigator that I recently learned has a specific Flat Tow mode. I did all of the math upfront to see if I could do but I have run into below issue.

My Lincoln specs say curb weight for the Navigator is 5800 lbs. Today according to the Cat Scale reading; I get 6,240 lbs That us 440 lbs more than I anticipated. The only thing added to the Navigator....
1. Full tank of gas (about 24 gallons or 144 lbs)
2. 45 lbs of weight to simulate Roadmaster Base Plate that is on order but not installed
3. 10 lbs of weight to simulate the RVi Brake 3 which is not ordered

The RV is sitting at 17,180 lbs ( it is fully loaded as we need, but we did remove some things we never use). Most relevant cargo is...
1. Full tank of gas
2. 1/3 tank of water
3. My wife and I ( we are both normal size; so going on a diet won't help
4. Gray and Black are empty
5. Spare tire under the bed could be removed (80lbs)
6. Ice maker could be removed (26 lbs)

My GCVW is 23,420 and my GCWR = 23,000

Should I give up this project? I am sure I could drain water, cut back on gas and remove spare to get under 23,000 lbs but is it necessary, or is it even worth it? Also, for kicks, hHow serious is the 420 lbs given supplemental braking?

I have a new hitch on order that I can easily return, but may be stuck with a $485 base plate I purchased from e trailer if I can't go forward?

Note and to be clear:
Getting another Tow Vehicle is not an option. I will either configure this Lincoln Navigator to be towed on my existing RV, or just leave everything as is.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum