Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #18
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Weighed the Tow Vehicle Today: Should I stop the Project over 420 lbs?

Bottom line is this....... it comes down to your specific situation and what you are comfortable going.

The components used on any chassis have specs that have a cushion from their published rating. Just because you go over by 100lbs doesn't mean the axle snaps in half or the brakes won't stop the vehicle. If you are exceeding by 1000lbs or more, then I would start to be concerned. When you are talling about less than 2% over, I would be cautious but not highly concerned.

The most important piece of the puzzle to me is the hitch.... and you are fixing that weakness as pasrt of your project.

You will have an independent brake system in the Navigator. As you drive you will be burning off fuel. You can carry less water and fuel in the Navigator as mentioned. You also can adjust your driving style in terms of speed and stopping distance knowing you are at your upper limits.

I have a Magnitude SV34 that Thor should be prosecuted for in terms of GVWR and being able to sell a vehicle up against the max published chassis values. When fully loaded I am a couple hundred pounds over my GVWR. But as I burn off diesel, DEF, propane, etc. I come in under the spec. My F550 Powerstroke also has more than enough power to accelerate, maintain speed abd climb mountains at my weight.

I've had the coach 3 1/2 years have a state safety inspection done on the coach every year by a Ford Commercial Truck Service Center. Brakes, tires, suspension, bearings, U-joints, etc. have all met safety requirements and published specs.

I have another inspection scheduled for early May before we leave for Alaska. I estimate we will put 15,000 miles on the coach so I am telling them to inspect everything such that based on current wear rates my brakes, tires, etc. will still meet safety specs after another 15,000 miles. If not, I will have those items replaced in May.

I think you can move forward with your project at 420lbs over if you feel comfortable with your coach and how you will be using it... and if you are adressing any weaknesses.... like the hitch.

Now if you told me you were 920lbs over, I would probably say its worth considering to scrap the project.... unless you could easily shave off 500lbs somewhere to get closer to the upper limit.

I think the most important thing is the tires. Not sure what you’re running on your Class A but many Class C’s are pushing the limits of LT tires. Make sure you have a commercial rates tire that more than covers your total weight and in very good condition.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum