Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #41
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
The front/rear weight bias can be a serious problem on some motor homes. I had a 24 foot class C RV that was so light on the front end that firmly applying the brakes would cause the front tires to slide. The first and only time that happened was a wakeup call for me to allow long following distances and look way ahead.
I don't fully understand why they do it, but motorhome manufacturers often use chassis with short wheelbases and then extend the rear excessively. I'm guessing they do it to lower costs, and to improve turning radius, but in the process they are sometimes creating some of the instability issues owners complain about.

Other factors like increased motorhome height and/or higher center of gravity are obvious contributors to instability. We just have to keep in mind that instability doesn't come up in the showroom where most motorhomes are selected, so manufacturers have little incentive to solve the problem if it's going to cause them sales. They could build lower motorhomes with lower CG, but few would buy them.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum