Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 12:59 PM   #7
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
dkoldman, questions about your lithium lawn equipment. How big is your yard and is it smooth and level? I have been thinking about switching from my John Deere to a electric solution but have doubts about the ability of electrics to mow 2 acres on one charge. That and the durability of the plastic blade adapters to handle the rocks that we grow here in Central Texas. How have your pieces held up? To the moderators, feel free to move my question to an appropriate sub heading.
I think giving the topic the durability of Lithium electronics could be fair game. It the future WBGO is banking on and the analogy with lawn is clear assessment of same today.

My lawn is 7,500 sq feet, it has 3 tiers and it is on a hill with fairly good climb. I have always have used self propelled to pull.

I have had 3 Honda Lawnmowers and swear by them but like a Lead Acid battery in RV they are HEAVY. My Honda also had a lithium battery that must be maintain for electric start.

I bought a Ryobi 40 V Lithium equipment one day only because I read the Dallas City Council was considering a ban on motorized power lawn equipment. I don't live in Dallas but close enough and one day I saw a Ryobi Blower and Edger on incredible sale at the Orange Store. I gave it a shot. Used about a year never went back to motorized equipment. Sold what I could keeping the Ryobi.

Then I decided to try a electric mower, a bigger gamble. My Ryobi 40v mower will hold two batteries (only use one at a time). I never need more than one battery. I can mow, edge, trim and blow on one 40v 6 amp battery. I kept my Honda for a year and sold it later.

The Ryobi mower has had issues though. I had to return to HD twice and each time they gave me a new unit. It would stop self propelling. Two months ago it stop self propelling again and I had to take to Ryobi Dealer who said they could not get parts and Ryobi authorized a replacement. Two weeks later I had heard nothing so Dealer gave me a ticket number to call Ryobi directly. I asked Ryobi if I had to pay someone to mow my lawn because they were saying it could take 4 - 6 weeks They said the would escalate ( yeah right ) The next day, the local dealer said my new lawnmower was in.... wtf I go get it and it is brand new that works like a champ again. They must have overnighted it or had it processed from a local distribution center?

I have metal blade and it cuts really well. If you try to go too fast it will automatically apply more power to the blade and drain battery faster, you can hear it.

Despite the issues, I am never going back because it is incredibly light. I can easily pick up to move to different level whereas I would even thing about it with the Honda.

If you looking at a John Deere it is likely equipped to mow at least 1 acre on single charge. I can tell you this, most all the reviews I read Ryobi batteries were wrong, i.e. people would say in 20 minutes it was dead? Kind of depends on what you doing. I get 6 AH every time and I generally finished after about 1 1/2 hrs. 30 mins for stopping and doing whatever.

Note: I have 2 6AHs, and 1 4AH batteries, they all fit into all of the equipment. I normally use the 4AH for the blower as it is lighter, one 6AH is for the edger & trimmer and I keep a 6AH in the mower so I am always good with plenty of power.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum