Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Ford and Thor
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 01:32 PM   #13
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I acknowledge that there is a lot of crap in this video. However, there are issues with the Ford Econoline chassis regarding its use as the platform for a large class C RV. Many owners have had to get custom alignments and install a bunch of aftermarket parts in order to get the handling acceptable.

I have a 2018 Chateau 31E. When new, it was a handful to drive on the highway. It would wander around its lane, and when a semi passed it would get pushed way across its lane. It also experienced uneven tire wear.

I ended up getting multiple alignments at a truck tire shop. Eventually they installed the camber/caster bushings to increase the caster to +5 degrees. BTW, these bushings also affect camber, so you can get some camber adjustment without having to bend the I-beams, but not a lot, and it's a trade with caster. I also installed a Saf-T-Plus steering controller, which really helped steering feel and reduced the wandering. I also installed big swaybars and Bilstein HD shocks for further handling improvements.

Another big problem is that on the big 32 ft. class C's the rear axle is at its weight limit even before you add any water, gear, or people. Check the actual axle weights on these and you'll see. I had multiple rear tire blowouts, which I think were due to the weight, and I ended up replacing the tires with C-rated (commercial) tires to provide more load carrying capability. I also installed some Timbren helper springs at the rear. A better solution would be to install an extra leaf spring.

So, it is a good argument that the RV buyer should not be expected to do custom alignments and modifications to get them to steer and handle well. And they shouldn't be delivered with no weight margin.
It is also a good argument that buyers should do a good test drive to check handling issues before making an offer to purchase. Yes, yes, yes, the buyer is at as much if not more fault than the manufacturer. If the buyer didn’t like the handling during the test drive why did they make the offer. And if the buyer doesn’t know enough about how an DV should handle (like a truck?) they shouldn’t be anywhere close to one.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and AWARENESS is the key.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum