Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
bigben

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Replace all the batteries = lesson learned

Our 2015 Challenger came with 2 batteries and we upped it to 4 on the way to a 2 month winter semi-boondocking in Key West. While in Key West and after about 30 days our batteries started being difficult to charge and then had difficultly holding a charge for 8 hours. Granted we had lots of "stuff" running all night but initially it wasn't a problem.

We had to take a 4 month hiatus from RVing while we had our knees fixed. Three months into our dry dock, the batteries had become very poor performing (we are at our brick and mortar home). While doing routine maintenance, batteries wouldn't hold a charge and wouldn't go over 12.7 volts on generator charge.

Today I went and put 4 Trojan T105 in, replacing the hodge podge I had from the previous 6 months. Bingo, Bango, Bongo. Immediately fixed my battery state.

Morale to the story - replace all the batteries as a unit, if not the lower performing battery will pull the others down. With my background I knew this but didn't do it - gotta just claim an old age lapse.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum