Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 08:27 PM   #8
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I've never had the ags kick on.
Lets talk setpoints to align

1. Let's say one morning it is a nice cool 70 degrees outside. We have a 6 hour trip coming up. I will set the thermostat at 78 degrees We drive and after a few hours it starts to heat up outside, maybe 85 degrees, but inside the cabin air is running and we are okay. But at some point it may hit 92 degrees outside and it really start to get warm especially in the back. It will be really uncomfortable if we stop. Worse as we have driven in 100 plus temperatures quite often. Our AGS tends to kick on when the outside temperature is 92 degrees plus. The setpoint on thermostat calls the AGS when inside hits 79 degrees, it will run some minimum time before it kicks off, but usually once it kicks on it stays on for the trip unless we going North and see dramatic drop in outside temp.

Why I like this aspect; because my wife does not have to get up and go start the genny to turn on AC while I am driving, and we don't have to run it at the beginning of the trip when we don't need. She would then complain she is too cold.

2. My setpoint on low voltage is set at 12.5vdc. That is highest permissible setting in my model EC-30. I could set at 12.2vdc and I could run longer off my batteries, but my Onan Manual says for AGM 50% SOC is 12.4 vdc ( some dispute), but I am one of those that want my genny to start and run as much as possible. So as a rule, I don't even bother with battery management, with no shore power; I just run stuff without a care in the world (the fridge on inverter notwithstanding). Only exception is if in a place that has Quiet hours for Genny; then I put in Quiet Mode and it will come on around 6:00 PM ( it calculates when it needs to start) and run to 8:00PM to ensure batteries are topped off. It stops at 8:00 PM regardless of charge because that is my setpoint for Quiet Time. It is very rare I use Quiet time, but I do have to use it when I get a dry campsite.

3. Something I do use a lot especially in summer. Let's say ACs are running full blast due to AGS starting up the genny on a trip. We pull up to campsite with good cold air. When I finally get parked and leveled. I go connect Shorepower, the AGS will turn off the Genny and the ATS in turn will switch to Shorepower. Not the greatest thing in the world but kind of cool everytime I do it. I also like knowing that if hot, and I leave the RV guest or relatives and if power goes off the genny will start automatically. I don't have pets, but we loss shorepower one night (my wife and I) as there was a power outage in the middle of the night and our genny kicked on (scared the crap out of me ). It ran as needed until the power was restored the next morning.

As you can see it is my favorite toy. I might add the AGS is the one thing that my WBGO did not come with; when all of the TMC I looked at buying (Windsport 27B, ACE 29.3) all had one standard as part of the Firefly system. So as you can imagine, the AGS was the 1st Mod I made and the one I use the most. I chose Onan in part because they said with the installation of a new EC-30 from authorized dealer, they extended the warranty on the generator itself for 3 years. Of course the warranty is over, but I never had an issue with the genny or EC-30.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.