Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 02:37 AM   #18
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Agreed the EC-30 is not cheap. The $400 for module is not bad if it includes the harness and Y connector you will need? The labor can cost $500 to $600. If you forgo the AC shorepower sensing cost for labor may be $300 to $400. If you plan to install yourself the $400 for parts only is cheap IMO.

I have not seen it lately, but Onan has a wireless unit that anyone can install, it works with a App on your phone. You have to go one way or the other, and I can't give up my wall mounted EC - 30 controller. I don't want to pull out my phone just to see what the genny is doing all the time. Which reminds me, my EC-30 shows me the last 10 error codes. Only bad thing is there is no time stamp as to when the error code occurred.

On the priming...
I never prime or have to prime my genny. I have read many posts and get amazed when I see others that have to prime. I just press the button and it starts right up like a car. I have Prime buttons; so I know Prime must be need for some setups. I thought ads the years go by, I would need to prime, but it is 4 year now. I actually once prime just to see how it works and got some error code. I freaked out but tried again and it started right up.

I have no proof of this but I do believe that when the AGS send signal for genny to start it may have a routine to prime for few secs before the red light comes on where you can visually see it is trying to start? But again, you are talking to a person that runs that genny all the time. It is like the self fulfilling prophecy. Because my AGS is always set and starting my genny for something (2hrs/day), it is exercising itself; so perhaps it works better. If my genny took anything over 4 secs to start, I would be calling Onan. If it were not you telling me it takes 30 secs to prime & start, I would say I didn't believe it. There must be something else wrong? Gas tank distance shouldn't cause that much delay?

Now for the fun part,

Assume you hired me to come fix your priming problem. You give me the greenlight to fix by any means necessary...

So I rip out your solar, toss the lithium batteries, and get you a good pair of AGMs, install the EC-30 or even use your AGS built into Inverter. That way when your house batteries drop to low voltage your generator will run at least 2 hours everyday. I am wiling to bet good money, your priming problem goes away.
Back on topic... I'll know in a couple days if my current (pun intended) project is my favorite upgrade to date. I'll know when I turn that battery disconnect switch, power up that inverter and it runs EVERYTHING in the coach... no generator or shore power required. Heck... I might even set a jug of distilled water in by the batteries for nostalgia.

Seriously though, I think the priming issue is related to the fuel line angle. Mine likely drains back to the fuel tank - yours might be slanted (smart) toward the generator to retain prime... so it fires right up.

It certainly wouldn't be too difficult to engineer a Raspberry Pi solution to it. Use a timed relay to do the priming - but I'm going to run out of summer!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum