Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 12:50 PM   #1323
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Tom View Post
The recent posts about the things that "scare" newbies hits home. I probably spent a few hundred hours of research prior to our purchase almost 2 years ago at this point. We've spent about 6 months in the RV over the course of the last 20 months, so certainly not full timers, but would classify us as regulars at least. Here are things that I was nearly terrified about before becoming more experienced:

1. My fresh water tank will give wife and I salmonella, e-coli, listeria, bubonic plague, ricketts, scurvy and botulism unless cleaned out weekly with a toxic mix of chlorine, bleach, CLR, and buckets of white vinegar .
2. Every RV trip I will experience a multiple tire blowout. This is likely because I was .001 off on the recommended tire pressures and my tires that came installed on RV were from "Fast Eddies, Acquired from Abroad, Retread Tire Shop" in East Kneecap, Tn.
3. Every orifice in my RV will spray water on me during the next rain sprinkle if I don't spot weld, Eternabond and seal with goopy putty (at least 6" thick) every 3rd Tuesday.
4. Changing the oil and filter myself by using the RV leveler jacks is a death wish. I can use the RV 10-15 days at a time with jacks down, slide out, raucous wrestling matches the entire time and the 4 jacks don't budge, but first slight twist of a hand tight oil filter will cause the RV to crash down upon me killing me instantly.
5. If I don't plan 9 months in advance for the places we are visiting, we will be sleeping on the side of Interstate __ as there is no room at any RV park anymore.

I don't mean to slight anyone who's had any of the issues above, but with even the most basic prudence, and reasonable upkeep, you can avoid many issues. But, you do need to expect issues and be level headed when they arise.

Really enjoying some of the comments here.
You forgot the one about weighting your rig:
If you never weighted your rig the FBI, CIA, Mossad, russian Spetsnaz and Mickey Mouse will come at night , kidnap you and take you to a place you don't want to be.....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.