Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
Dwain65

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I have had mine to ONAN twice. Both times they said it appeared as if the pump was straining too hard, and failing. They said they thought the way THOR had installed it must be the problem.

Turns out, after many trips to THOR, they found a union in the gas line. Turns out this union, which is NOT supposed to be there, was made of plastic, and when the person tightened the O clamps, they overtightened, and crushed the plastic union, impeding the gas flow, causing the fuel pump to over work, and fail.

It was what ONAN said the problem was, from day 1. THOR kept insisting that their fuel lines were not ever spliced. Oh Well. I have had it back for a couple of days now, and it seems to be working. THOR also had the dealer install a vent in the generator closet, and rerouted the exhaust piping.
Winder..you may be on to something here. What I have observed with mine is the pump will click more noticeably as the unit runs. If it is in fact losing prime the pump is working harder to pump fuel and fails prematurely.

A few questions...

How long did your gen run before shutting down?
Was the outdoor temp over 90 degrees?
Were you able to restart immediately after a stall or did you have to wait for a period of time to restart?
Have you had extended run times since the vent install, pump repalcement and T fitting removal replacement?
Do you know the location of the plastic "T"?

Mine seems to stall when the following conditions are met:

1. I am driving the coach and operating the generator at the same time for more than 45 minute drive
3. the outside temp is 95-100 degrees

I have attempted to restart when it stalls, i must prime the pump has an odd thumping sound followed but quiet thump, press start and it stumbles runs at lower rpms and stalls again. Only letting it cool off for over an hour will let me start it normally.

Any input here is appreciated.

D

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum