Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
What do you mean by "Like they are plastic too for insulation quality per electrical grounding."
I'm kind of scratching my head on that one too.

We're finally looking at putting in hydraulic jacks. We are currently still using the 2x10s, but it is getting old quick.

I live about 50 miles from Quadra Mfg (Bigfoot leveling jacks) and they will install them at the factory. They make a set specifically for E450 Class Cs.

I do like the Bigfoot setup as each cylinder has it's own pump, so there are not any hydraulic lines to run (other than short runs from each pump to it's cylinder). But the other potential thing I see is there are no "return springs" on the cylinders to retract them if you lose power.

Not sure at this point how much of an advantage those return springs are anyway from a practical matter. But there is supposedly some method of returning the cylinders to the up position - I just don't yet know what that entails.

The mounting plates for the cylinders have to be welded to the chassis, and while I just bought a welder a month ago (for another project), I am not yet having enough confidence in welding the plates on the chassis myself. I certainly don't want one of the welds to break, and a cylinder find it's way poking through the RV's floor. Besides, I don't have any kind of lift which would be nice for such a project.

Probably will visit the factory in a few weeks (after we're back from our next RV trip), and see what they look like. I a not yet committed to this brand, but they are a good price. We're also going to Hershey in Sep. for the specific reason to look at all of the accessory vendors, so we will at least wait until then to make any kind of decision.

They make two systems that would work on my coach. The manual system (has one pump and hydraulic lines to each cylinder), which requires lowering one cylinder at a time costs around $2,600, while the auto system that auto-levels and each cylinder has it's own pump is $3,400. Installation is a flat rate $600 at the factory. So, $3,200~$4,000 or so, plus tax.

Probably won't put them on until next spring, because I also want to get my car outfitted to be a toad, and well - priorities are priorities. We just sold our current car as it could not be towed 4 down, and bought one that could, so in our first year of ownership, we have had to do a lot of things to support our RV lifestyle.

This RV thing seems to be getting serious.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.