Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #18
Dwain65

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1052
Generator Issue, '15 30.1 ACE

Guidrys/Winder1,

Good and timely posts this evening..

History:

Week 1 - August 2014 Dallas to South Carolina - 30+ Stalls, Ambient Temps 95-108 degrees - Miserable trip with 3 Giant Dogs!

Week 3 - Sept 2014 (100 Hours) - Appt with Onan - Diagnosed failed fuel pump, replaced but tech was scratching his head on other root cause. He could not find any other issue.

Sept 2014 - Dec 2015 - No problem during monthly exercises or extended runs while parked or driving.

Feb 2016 - Visited dealer to repair other plumbing and rattling issues and when I turned the corner into the dealership the generator sputtered and died. I gave service advisor history and told him to add it to the list as I remember the sound and experience with stalling/fail to restart. They went through the unit were able duplicate problem and proceeded to replace the entire fuel line front to rear and replaced carb.

Several monthly exercises since that service with no failures. This past weekend I took it to work to refill propane for upcoming trip. Generator stalled...same as the first week. I called Onan and scheduled an appointment. (220 Hours on the clock)

Yesterday I woke up at 7 am and got to work. I traced the fuel line to confirm it was new from gen to fuel tank. Very impressed with condition and no bends, kinks, or special fittings in line. I changed the oil (30 weight this time) purchased a metal vent at my local hardware store and got the saws out. I cut the opening in the door and installed the vent. Started the gen and it ran well and was pulling air through the new vent. I took it on the highway and stopped a few minutes to check temperatures at the inlet vs ambient and all was well. I got back in the coach shut the door and the generator stalled;(

So I have done all I can do except replace the fuel pump. I will not change it, Onan will as the unit is still under warranty. I hope that they will get to root cause here. Could excess temperature cause two fuel pumps to fail?? I think so.. Could there be another restriction within the fuel system, maybe?

Will update you both after my Onan appt next week...

Please do the same if you learn anything new.

Hope you all had a great 4th!

D

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.