Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
NC Hauler

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4763
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
Our current truck has zero problems pulling our 21K rig with it's 450/1650 Detroit.

The replacement Kenworth that is getting the bed built for it right now should do a little better, 500/1650 Cummins with a Eaton 13 speed Ultrashift. I know that a LOT of people pull trailers over 20K with a pickup but a MDT or HDT will do the job and not break a sweat doing it.

My GVWR is 35,900 with a GCWR of 75,900. I like having a lot of safety margin towing and the wife likes the comfort.
I can use my truck as a daily driver, drive it anywhere I want to, restaurant's, malls, stores, take it out on unpaved narrow country roads and use the bed to haul things in...It's paid for, full warranty and it can easily and safely tow a 21K 5er...When I disconnect at a campground, I can drive my truck anywhere we want to go...I won't need yet another car like I see most HDT carrying around..Insurance is cheap and cost of the truck was about 62K..I get 15.5 to 17 mpg just driving the truck around..I get almost 10 towing...I have a safety margin of over 11,000# on GCWR and close to 1K on GVWR and even more on RAWR..so, plenty of safety margin and my truck also doesn't work up a sweat towing 19-21K 5er's..and 99% of my towing is in the mountains.

My truck is also much easier to get in and out of for the dogs, the wife, (who just had hip replacement), and me, who is still recovering from a stroke I had 11 months ago...

The newer 1 ton dually's manufactured starting in 2013 are FAR more capable than pre-13' same trucks. It's there for the research...My wife can easily tow with and drive our truck anywhere she want's, 9grocery store, malls, etc)..at 5'2 and 64 yrs old, that's pretty good...

Each have their pro's and con's, but 450's, 4500's and up, MDT's and HDT's are not necessarily needed today to tow 5er's with GVW's of 18K to 21K, even higher..and I adhere to trucks recommended GVWR's and GCWR's...which isn't the popular way to go on some forum's, (where I am referred to as a "Weight Police").

Jim

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum