Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Sundance

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
Towing Package Design for A Honda Civic

Let me preface this by saying that I am a NEWBIE to motorhome RVing. I had many years with a travel trailer but this is my first experience with a motor coach. My wife, read boss, and I have concluded that we need a toad/dingy in order to enjoy the freedom that we desire. We have a very low mileage, 35,500, 2009 Honda Civic that we have concluded we should use as our toad. Now I am fully aware that Honda says this vehicle is only to be towed in emergency situations and for limited mileage if being flat towed or 4 down. However, as a result of significant internet research I have concluded the risk is minimal if done intelligently; and that is where this audience comes into play, hopefully.
I plan to towing my 2009 Honda Civic behind my Class A 2016 Thor Tuscany XTE 34 ST. Equipment I have identified as being necessary or prudent is as follows:
1. Seven (7) Pin Tail Light Warning Kit. I see where Mike L at etrailer.com seems to prefer the Hopkins Universal Tail Light Wiring Kit.
2. Base Plate, which as I understand is hardware that mounts to the toad and enables a connection point for the tow bar.
3. Class IV, 10,000 lb Tow Bar. I know 10,000 lbs is overkill but, for me, I feel more comfortable with the additional margin. The margin could come in handy if I wanted to tow a larger vehicle.
4. Class IV, 10,000 Lb Safety Cable Kit. The safety cables seem to be included with some of the tow bar systems I have seen.
5. Drop Receiver Hitch. My guess is that I would need about a 4” drop to level out the attach points
6. Auxiliary Braking System. I am currently leaning towards the RVibrake2
7. Battery Charging System for Toad. RVi sells one for $50.00 or less. I feel the inclusion of the battery charger is good risk mitigation.

Okay guys here is your design opportunity. Fire away, no comment/detail too small. Tell me how you would do it. Thanks in advance.

sundance

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum