Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #67
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Based on that drawing, 4 wire, and since A: engine start works, B: alternator charges the house batteries, C: shore power/ gen set doesn't charge the chassis battery and none of the wires from the B.I.R.D match whats on the isolation relay; the wire between the B.I.R.D and the engine start switch is missing/gone astray. If that turns out to be the case this will be the second missing wire and I begin to wonder how many others are not there/or where they should be.
If you notice from the 4-wire BIRD diagram, there is not a dedicated terminal on the BIRD for engine start switch. The engine start switch is hard-wired somewhere between the BIRD output and the isolator relay.

It's difficult to say how electricians run wiring, but since you say the wires don't match, it's very possible the electrician made the connection (think in terms of a splice without being a splice) at the emergency start switch itself.

I would look to see if there is a wire from the BIRD to the emergency-start switch, and then another wire (which could be a different color) from that same terminal on the switch running to the isolator relay.

On subject of converter not charging chassis battery, how do you know this is not happening at all? Since the BIRD has built-in time delays and also has logic based on voltages, I would think that it's hard to test whether it ever works right or not. I know how I would test it, but I'm not sure it would normally show up unless one was looking to confirm proper operation. I'm just curious what is occurring that doesn't seem correct. Obviously the isolator relay works based on your post, so it must be something else.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum