Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
One of your questions was how to use the "use/disconnect " button

In my unit, it's labeled "Use/Store". Basically it's a switch that closes or opens a relay, which is basically a heavier duty switch. The relay switches off feed from the battery, and should be in the Store or Disconnect position if you are storing the coach without being plugged in. If the coach is plugged in with the "shore power", leave it in the use position and the converter will maintain the charge of the battery.

My guess is that this is a new coach, and your battery is bad. If it's a new coach you just took ownership, take it in asap for a warranty check.
These batteries do not like to be discharged below around 50% charge level (or more, depending on your source of info.). Also, a lead acid battery will self discharge over time, even if there is not a load on it. It doesn't take too many times of cylcing below 50% to kill the battery. I have killed too many batteries in my boat and in my old popup camper letting it sit just a little too long.....
Anyway, imagine these things sitting on the dealer lot. Could be shown to one customer..... somebody leaves the bathroom light on, and nobody remebers to hit the disconnect switch as they jump back onto the golf cart heading to the next unit. The next morning, the battery is toast.
Then you go to buy the coach a week later.... they plug in the coach for your PDI, and therefore charge the battery up.... now there's enough surface charge on the battery for your walk around and testing, but it won't take long for you to find out taht the battery just doesn't hold a charge for very long at all...... It could happen. It did for me.

Now the other possibility is that you have unrealistic expectations of how much energy is stored in a battery. You say it wont hold a charge more than 24 hours. Is that 24 hours with every light on, and running the furnace fan motor, and running the water pump frequently? Well even a bank of true deep cycle golf cart batteries won't last long under heavy use......

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.