Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Satellite TV
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
I'm on my 3rd RV, I had Dish on my first RV. I didn't like it very much, it was cheaper, overall cost of unit and programming. But the old adage applies, you are going to get what you pay for! I didn't think the programming was as good as Directv.

We have directv at home, so I had something to compare it to. The big thing I didn't like with dish was; if you didn't have the receiver on and online for more than 30 days, the receiver would not download the programming guide and would not work at all! I would have to call dish, I always seem to talk with someone in a foreign country, whose first language was not English! For some reason, they didn't seem to know about this glitch, so I would get transferred through 3 or 4 different departments, including billing, before I could get it turned back on.

The problem was, they advertised this pay as you go program, the only problem was, if we didn't use the RV for 2 months, jump online, pay for a 30 day period, it wouldn't work, because the programming guide didn't update! Hence, I would have to call dish, to get the receiver re-activated, which typically took, 20-30 minutes!

Very frustrating, needless to say when we upgraded coaches, I dumped dish like a bad habit!! With direct, I've had no issues at all, plus I can watch NFL Sunday ticket😀😀😀😀😀😀🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

I live in the great pacific NW, we have lots of trees at our campgrounds, I've been to several locations were I could not get reception wth the traveler mounted on the roof. So one evening, I watched as a couple was setting up their Winegard portable dish. As they moved their antenna around to capture sat reception, I wondered about a way to use both systems. Before I knew it, they had a table set up next to their rig, a 32 inch TV was set up and they were watching sports!

So, with a little searching I found a used Winegard G2, auto track directv dome for $200.00. I wired in a new coax with a 12V cigarette power plug in my utility bay and ran the coax to a splitter, with a switch for A/B (The traveler requires a SWM unit and the G2 does not).

Using the G2 I get standard definition, so the quality isn't as good, but it is pretty close!!

Total cost parts and accessories approx $260.0
Time to install approx 3 hours(ran coax across coach, underneath and installed a 12v lighter plug)

Totally worth it for me! I know it's camping, but I like my creature conviences!!

I looks like I digressed a bit, did I mention I prefer Directv??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2632  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum