Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Read on one of the threads here of someone with one of the jacks bent. Was told a replacent will cost $2,000. I could buy about 50 sets of Lynx blocks. All the problems I've read here about low voltage, automatic level not working, jacks stuck up, jacks stuck down -- the levelers would be more hassle for me than their worth. I'll take the Occam's Razor approach.
You left off the recent one where a hydraulic line or hose ruptured, soaking part of the floor of the motorhome with hydraulic fluid.

While I agree with your point of view completely, in fairness to OP, it's usually difficult to justify (time or cost) what I consider luxury or convenience items other than we want them because we want them. I have friends who will work the equivalent of 10 hours to pay for a "tool" that will save them 10 minutes on a project a couple of times a year versus doing it the old-fashion way (by hand). If evaluated as a business decision it makes no sense whatsoever to me, but if they get pleasure from owning that tool, how is it any different than pushing a button to get everything level?

If I had an Axis with a slide, and had to level it first on my sloped driveway at home every time I loaded, unloaded, and cleaned, it would get old fast -- levelers would be nice to have. But if my decision was based solely on campgrounds we've stayed at, then I'd pass on levelers. Practically all sites have been level enough that we haven't done anything (although my concerns have been limited to the fridge and not a slide).

By the way, during Tour of France bike race, motorhomes were lined up along route on steep mountain passes prior to summits, and I did not notice a single one with jacks of any kind. Most had blocks under wheels because the slopes were often in range of +/- 10%.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.